Sunday, June 26, 2011

Tendulcar-Ferrari Ki Sawaari in Surat

TENDULCAR-Ferrari Ki Sawaari-Wankhede to Varachha

Last night this columnist dreamt of penning a book- Tendulcar in Tapi Town.
Since the said journal would need first hand information, a meeting with Surat’s new star was mandatory. Here are some excerpts of a tete-a tete with India’s now most famous four wheeler.

Q. How does it feel to be a super car?

T. “Oh! I am exhilarated! I am on top of the world! First my owner was the star, now, I am it. I hope to run for as many kilometers and more, than the legend scored.

Q. You have had a long and famous journey

T “Yes, Italy to India has been a long run. Having been to the Fiat- Ferrari firm born, I was bound to be in news, but amongst my entire sibling fraternity I managed to steal the show. I mean, I was gifted ,presented by the best racer in the world -Schumacher to the best batsman in the universe- Sachin, when he equaled Sir Don Bradman’s record.

Q. There have been many controversies, regarding import duty, transit, rumours of having been stolen on April Fool’s day 2010, once a gift, now a deal …….

T .Ah! Yes, but then, what good is it to be young and famous and not have tongues wag? Its part of the popularity perks and jerks. Anyway’s its all in the past now. Bene grazie!

Q. You need special service and even special fuel to run.

T. Yes, I had my signature special fuel, custom made especially for the master blaster, by Bharat Petroleum .The No.97 high Octane petrol was produced at the company’s Mumbai refinery. It costs 50 % higher than normal petrol .I don’t think it will be locally available here, so I am not too sure how I will manage in future, maybe they will bring it in or I will visit Mumbai for refills.

Q.How do you like your new home?

T. Oh! I am made to feel like a goddess. The garage was redecorated especially for me, people in town seem to worship the roads I vroom on and my owner is a soft gentle soul. I thought my boss’s name was Jayesh Desai, but upon reaching here I realized it’s actually Jayessbhai-everyone here calls him that.

Q.What do you miss about your old home?

T.A whole load of things, of course. I mean it’s a different ball game to be parked at La Mer.Apart from Signor Sachin’s family and Kambli sir who loved me; I miss my friends the most. I sometimes had A .Bacchan’s Bentley for company and visiting Antilia to gossip with M .Ambani’s Maybach and other fleet was too much fun. We had this high profile gang of first hand, original cars, unlike the down market stolen goods that go around these days.

Q.How do you find Surat?

T. Bellissima ! Mamma Mia! Che belle ragazze! Che rumore!Magari ! But, If only I also understood what they speak……. Che macello! They whistle and hoot, record me on mms, they call out ‘Watt a booty!’,’ Aaila! Sachin ni gaari lai aavyo bhaila! “ooooh posu bhagat !”, I mean c’mon Suvvia!Vedi ni non dire sciocchezze!

Q.I meant the roads.

T.Oh! The roads here are wider with less bumper to bumper traffic than Mumbai.But the bumps are too high for my bottom and I need to be carefully maneuvered. I love the flyovers and am really looking forward to zooming on the Vadodra and Ahmedabad Expressway to tap my potential, prove my road worthiness.

Q.So, no hard feelings?

T. None whatsoever! I mean in an age when most second hand cars are sold for less than half their price, I was paid for twice my original amount, inspite of being FOC! My new owner and Tapi town made National news and front page material. Amitabh Bachhan sold one of his BMW’s last year but like all other celebrity sales, it was a silent one.Besides,I hear my paint and connecting engine blocks for fuel supply are manufactured in Gujarat,so in a way, this is homecoming. After years, am getting the publicity of my heydays.

Q. Will you miss the Tendulkars?

T. Always. I was their dream car, now they have someone new. But we Italians believe that true love is rare and true friendship even rarer. Since I was traded for friendship, all is fair.

No comments: