Sunday, April 10, 2011

An open letter from an abandoned child

An open letter from destiny’s child


Dear Ma,
I often think about you, as I lie here in my hospital cradle. I miss the warmth of your womb where I lay snug and safe for nine months. Feeding from you as your foetus. Feeling along with you, your happiness and pain as I tossed and tumbled inside you. I heard the sounds of music you listened to and jigged with it in my own way within the space you so generously provided me. I am sorry but I dint mean to hurt you when I gave you that occasional kick from within, it was just my way of assuring you that I was okay and I existed.

It was not my intention to hurt you at all when I made way out, but your body had given signs that it was time for me to come and join you in your world outside. I cried because you cried .My favourite moment was when you first held me close; nothing will ever feel that good again.:-) .

There has been a lot of buzz around here since the time I have been brought to this new place. People bend over me in curiosity and give sweet smiles. I have also been photographed and featured in newspapers. I wonder if any of them reached you and if you recognized me. The people looking after me are called doctors. They are helping me get healthier by giving me something called antibiotics .I am also given infant nutrition but it doesn’t taste even half as good as what you fed me. :( . Last fortnight, they brought in another girl like me who was forgotten in a train by her mother, by mistake. The poor child refused to have anything for 16 hours until she was happily united with her mother.

Then last week, I got new company. This baby weighs twice my weight and is really cute. That’s what all the nurses say. She was wrapped in a cloth and left behind on the main road! I wonder why parents are becoming so forgetful these days. But you know what, when she was brought in here, another mother of an infant offered to feed her :-) I suppose breast milk does not differentiate between children. If her parents don’t come looking for her, maybe she will be my best friend at Nari Saurakshan Gruh ,where both of us will be growing up till our parents find us .I hear they celebrate all festivals and holidays and have good health and educational programmes. But I would rather celebrate my birthday with you; will you be able to find me by then?

I am looked after lovingly by the inmates of that institution. Instead of one mother I have many. But you know what? I miss you. Do you miss me too? I hope you do.

Today is a very special day for girls, I hear.The town has been fasting, observing Navratri before Ram Navmi, praying for health, wealth and happiness from all the avatars of Goddesses. Little girls like me are called ‘Kanjaks’ meaning incarnations of Goddesses .They will be invited at homes and people will wash their feet and bow in front of them asking to be blessed. The little giggling girls will be given goodies and gifts. If I could talk and someone asked me what I wanted for a gift, I would most certainly ask to be united with you.

They say I am a survivor, some bad people buried me alive but I called out loud from below the earth mounds and made it .They have named me after one of the sports champion in town and I hope to make my mark in this world ,as she has. I will. And just as her parents are so proud of her, I hope you and Papa will be too. :-)

Hugs and kisses,

Destiny’s child.

No comments: